Thursday, April 16, 2009

Homeschooling Theme: How To Make An Apple Pie And See The World (Part 2)

This is a continuation of my Part 1 post where I shared the first 12 activities that we did in our homeschooling journey on learning with the book 'How to make an apple pie and see the world' by Marjorie Priceman. 

My 4yo started this lapbook to record his learning experience.




The following activities were only introduced to the 4yo. 

13. Chinese activity - rhyme, word recognition, description and sentence construction

14. Geography/Mapwork/Memory Activity - the 4yo drew the route taken around the world to search for the ingredients.

15. Geography - locate the countries on a world map, the continents they belong to and their flags. (The 'Where in the World Is England?' etc... )





16. Apple Tree Life Cycle - learn about the changes to an apple tree through the four seasons

17. Learn about Evaporation and where salt comes from

18. Art appreciation -  we looked at various forms of art by the famous masters that are relevant to the theme.

19. Art/Copy Writing - 4yo made the lapbook cover. Though I supplied the map for colouring, it was his idea.

20. Cooking - Bake apple pie and make waldorf salad

21. Write simple recipes for both

22. Uses of salt/sugar


Here are more photos on the lapbook!! 

~~
And a little note here... to those who have been expressing appreciation for the lapbooking posts... 

To be fair to the parents/children who have signed up for the lapbooking classes, I will not be posting any more lapbooking work that we do on this blog after this final post on this book. 

But we will still be continuing lapbooking as a big part of our weekly homeschooling work. 

From my experience with my children, this trans-disciplinary thematic learning approach is one of the most important aspects of our homeschooling activities. It encompasses almost all the areas that I see as essential in preschool education. But sadly, I feel they are often lacking in the curriculum or not properly delivered in the local preschools.  

My children enjoy the learning journey and lapbooking process as much as I have fun creating them. And because of how much they have benefitted from the process and this learning approach, I intend to persevere for as long as I can. 

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...