Sunday, March 15, 2009

Crafts With Recycled Materials

I've always been keen on turning recycled materials into crafts and have been exposing the kids to such craftwork. 

My ultimate goal is for them to be able to look at the usual 'junk' differently and create something useful or pretty out of them.

A very simple craft we made a while back is this Paper Roll Man. Basically, I got the 2yo to paint it whatever colour he likes and 'dress' it anyway he prefers with the materials I provided. Then I stuck a tongue depressor at the back so we could use it for role-playing. 


He also made an octopus out of another one. I let him paint and dictate what materials to use. All I did was cut up the lower half of the roll to form the octopus' arms.


The boys weren't keen on playing with these. But the aim isn't about the end products. 

What matters more is what they learn in the process of transformation.


We have also made a rocket, taxi, bus, some animals and a few skyscrapers which were played with. 

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...