Friday, January 9, 2009

Back To Our Routine

The 4yo is back to school. Yesterday was actually his first school day for the new year. 

If he was in a traditional pre-school, he should be in Kindergarten 1 this year. But this is not the case in a Montessori set up since they practise mixed age groups of 2.5 to 6yo in each class. Still, he will be one of the older kids now. 

How time flies! I can still remember how I felt when my little boy started school for the first time in May 2007. Reading the old posts last night reminded me once again just how much I should cherish every moment with the kids.

He was a little reluctant to go to school today, but didn't put up much resistance to leave home with daddy. When I collected him, he looked happy enough though he revealed he didn't have fun in school. Oh well, I am not expecting much for the first week anyway. 

In a way, I am happy to be back to our routine. 

On a typical school day, I get to spend a good 3 hrs with Chipsy before we collect M from school.


Little Chip played with these colourful knobs for a good half hour yesterday. 




On a good day, like these two days, the boys would play while I fix lunch. After lunch, we chill a little and if Chipsy naps, I spend time with M. If naps are skipped, we get on with homeschooling activities and free play before dinner preparation begins. Then I go on to yet another busy and hectic few hours till the boys are tucked in and all crucial chores are done. 

I like it that I am very productive on a weekday. The busy routine requires me to multi-task and keep me on my toes. Though it can get pretty tiring on a real hectic day, the satisfaction from knowing that I can achieve plenty in a brief few hours is truly addictive.

This morning, for instance, I sat down with Chipsy for close to 1.5 hr and we covered quite a bit. 

I introduced the numeral 8 and letter I, did some counting practices, colouring, 3 crafts, poetry and rhyme, flashcards, some picture matching exercise, a water scooping activity to improve hand/eye coordination and fine motor skills development, introduced the concept of solids/liquids and learnt about ice cubes and melting through an experiment. 

Then he went off to play Lego. In that 30min, I got some chores done and concurrently prepared materials for more crafts that we will work on after lunch. I managed to squeeze in time to file away some homeschooling stuff, make more notes about projects that I am preparing for M and replied a few emails. 

All these were accomplished by 11am. 

Now, it is on days like this that I feel I have 'earned' a beautiful cup of quality coffee and a gorgeous slice of cake to savour after lunch. Not that I need an excuse to indulge in life's simple pleasures. But to me, reaping the rewards after a hard day of work does make the rewards sweeter. 

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ooo that sounds so great! :) I noticed that you are prob doing BFIAR somewhat. I just got a set for Sophie. Wonder if you would like to form a email brainstorming grp to share ideas? I know another sept mum in HK who's doing it too. Wanna ask her too. Keen? :)

DG said...

Hi Ling, you are referring to Angeline in HK, aren't you? :) How to do email brainstorming? I don't have the BFIAR and currently not intending to buy either as we are running out of space for more books. Already, our current collection is taking over my wardrobe space! But it won't stop me from checking out the BFIAR list of recommended reads. :)

Ivana said...

You're just amazing! I really need to take a few tips from you. I certainly need to be more organised.

DG said...

oh Ivana... I just like to be kept busy. *blushing*...

Ivana said...

I guess, I just need to start something. In a bit of a rut = )

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...