Thursday, January 1, 2009

Lapbook: Goodnight Moon


We started reading this classic to the boys when they were 3 months old. It was all falling apart from frequent flipping by the time Chipsy was a few months old, so we got him a new copy.

A while back, I was scouting for more interesting themes to build our homeschooling activities on. I wanted to choose themes that my boys will find fascinating. So in addition to introducing the random themes on a weekly basis, I also shortlisted some books and based our activities on ideas/concepts raised in these books.

Goodnight Moon is one of them. I reckon Chipsy is too young for certain activities whereas M will be too bored unless I introduce some challenging elements. So for most activities that we worked on for this theme, I worked with the boys separately. 

Here is a summary of what we did. 

1. Nursery Rhyme - Hey Diddle Diddle. Chipsy was given relevant Colouring Pages.

2. Comprehension/Thinking Skills - Basically lots of questions that set them thinking and to check their understanding.

3. Puzzle. We already have this puzzle which my 4yo could complete easily on his own. My 2yo isn't keen to work alone, but will do it as a family activity.

4. Art: Noticing Details
We did this activity together. I printed and cut out lots of pictures of all the items that can be found in the Room. 

The boys were given a task each: 
- 4yo was to pick out the items that the bunny DID NOT SAY goodnight to. 
- Chipsy was to select the ones that the bunny SAID goodnight to. 

Then they pasted the pictures on their papers. In the process, the boys noticed a lot more details that they had previously missed. 

5. Science: Phases of the Moon
I discussed why the moon may appear to look so different at times, but only M did the activity on paper.

6. Vocabulary and Rhyming Words
We looked at a list of rhyming words from the book and after discussing which rhymes with which, Marcus linked them up.

7. Language Arts: Goodnight to My Room
We discussed the things in their room which they say goodnight to as part of their bedtime routines. M wrote the words (and spelt) all by himself. He also included some drawings. 

8. Maths: Learn to Tell Time
This activity was only introduced to M.


Upon completion, I taped the A4 pages together to form an accordian book.



We have since moved on to work on a few other books. I will blog about them in the new year. 

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...